If you are a B2B Marketer for a Small Business, using Content Marketing to promote your product/service/brand, then you will want to check out the following 2015 benchmarks, budgets, and trends study by Content Marketing Institute and MarketingProfs, sponsored by the Copyblogger Rainmaker Platform.
The net of the benchmark results? Those who document their content marketing strategy versus simply verbalizing it have shown to be much more effective content marketers.
Small Business B2B Content Marketing Benchmarks Presentation
This is the fifth year that MarketingProfs and Content Marketing Institute have put together Small Business Content Marketing Benchmarks report on how B2B marketers use content in their marketing mix. Links to past year content marketing reports are provided in the references section below.
With changes in the industry, the report has evolved to capture the key trends and maintain relevancy. Below is a summary of survey questions added.
The following slideshare of the latest report contains an executive summary followed by key findings. We trust that you will find the benchmark data as interesting as we did.
B2B Small Business Content Marketing: 2015 Benchmarks, Budgets and Trends – North America from Content Marketing Institute
Content Marketing Survey Updates for 2015
Several new questions where included in the 2015 Content Marketing survey including:
- How many different audiences do you target with separate content marketing strategies? The average is 4.
- How many paid advertising methods do you use to promote/distribute content? The average is 3.
- How often do you publish new content to support your content marketing program? 42% say “multiple times per week” or “daily.”
- How many content marketing initiatives are you presently working on? The average is 13.
- How many content marketing initiatives do you plan to begin working on within the next 12 months? The average is 8.
B2B Small Business Content Marketing Benchmark – Key Takeaway is that Talk is Cheap!
Though similar to the 2014 key takeaway, the key difference is that in 2014, the survey asked B2B marketers for the first time whether they had a documented content marketing strategy, andWhat was surprising is that not even half (44%) said “yes.” That left the researchers wondering whether the 49% who said “no” maybe did have a strategy but just hadn’t documented it.That assumption was tested and proved correct through the following responses:
- 35% responded that they have a documented content marketing strategy
- 48% responded that they have a content marketing strategy, but it is not documented
Other Key Study Findings
Here are some of the key findings called out by the report authors:
- 70% of B2B marketers are creating more content than they did one year ago, even those who say they are least effective (58%) and those without any type of strategy (56%).
- Measurement is a key area where B2B marketers are struggling: Only 21% say they are successful at tracking ROI; however, having a documented strategy helps (35% of those with a strategy say they are successful).
- Infographics was the tactic that had the greatest increase in usage (from 51% last year to 62% this year).
- 94% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn to distribute content, making it the social media platform used most often (they also say it’s the most effective social media platform).
- 58% of B2B marketers use search engine marketing, making it the paid method used most often to promote/distribute content (they also say it’s the most effective paid method).
- More than 3x B2B marketers say they are challenged with finding trained content marketing professionals this year (32%) than last year (10%).
Having a verbal strategy is a great first step but on its own, falls short. As the responses demonstrate, it pays to take the time to write down and document your content marketing strategy: 60% of those who have a documented strategy rate themselves highly in terms of content marketing effectiveness, compared with 32% of those who have a verbal strategy.
Need help developing, documenting and executing your content marketing strategy? Fill out the contact form below and we will contact to schedule an initial consultation.
- Data Is Clear: To Be Effective at Content Marketing, Have a Documented Strategy
- 2015 B2B Content Marketing Benchmarks, Budgets, and Trends for North America
- B2B Content Marketing 2014 Benchmarks, Budgets & Trends – North America by Content Marketing Institute and MarketingProfs
- B2B Content Marketing: 2013 Benchmarks, Budgets, and Trends–North America
- 2012 B2B Content Marketing Benchmarks, Budgets and Trends [Research Report]