Google Callout Extensions Maximize AdWords ROI
Google Callout extensions, when used your AdWords search ads, can become a competitive advantage for your business.
In the world of internet advertising, it’s important to do all that you can to maximize the quality of your ads. Google Adwords provides many means of doing this. One of the most intuitive and helpful ways is through the use of Google callout extensions.
What are Google Callout Extensions?
Callouts are an extension of a Google search ad that function in a manner similar to sitelinks, but without the need for an actual link to a page on your website. These appear between the ad’s description line and its sitelinks (if any).
Here is a Google Search Ad example with both Callouts and Sitelinks:
Callouts enable advertisers to focus user attention to the unique selling points of their business, such as free shipping or twenty four hour customer service.
Why use Google Callout Extensions?
Though not a guaranteed success, Callouts and other extensions tend to lead to higher clickthrough rates (CTR) and better ad performance in general. Here are some reasons to give Callouts a try:
- Make your Google Search Ad stand out and use more of the above the fold real estate.
- Promote popular or unique selling points which pertain to your business.
- Using extensions can help give your ad a better “Ad Rank”, helping it reach higher positions in search results.
- Google offers Callouts specifically designed for appearance on mobile devices, allowing the advertiser a great amount of freedom when it comes to showing their ads across platforms.
- They are easy to use and convenient to change.
- You can schedule Callouts to highlight different features of your business at different times of the year, month, week, or day.
Google makes it easy for advertisers to start applying Callout extensions to their ads, which definitely makes them worth a shot.
Tips and Tricks for using Google Callout Extensions
Some things to keep in mind when adding Callouts to your advertising strategy:
- Callouts are only available to be used in “Search Network Only” and “Search Network with Display Select” campaigns.
- You are not allowed to duplicate text in Callouts. Because of this, words which appear in your ad’s description text or headline cannot appear within the text of a Callout extension.
- You cannot use Dynamic Keyword Insertion for your Callouts text.
- Callouts, like all of the content in your ads, must be family safe, and must not contain adult content.
- You cannot use symbols, emoticons, or “emoji’s” in your Callout extensions.
- Keep the text of your Callouts short. Google suggests you use 12 to 15 characters per Callout, setting the hard cap at 25.
- Use the sentence case instead of of title case. Though you probably use title case for most of your ad text, Google’s research has shown that sentence case works best for Callouts. (“24/7 customer service” as opposed to “24/7 Customer Service.”
How to Get Started
If you decide to give Callout extensions a try, you’ll be pleased to hear that they are available for no additional cost on the part of the advertiser. They are included in the already existing cost-per-click.
To create Callout extensions, you use the Callout extensions dropdown menu option in View: ad extensions, within Google Adwords. All you have to do is add the new Callout text, choose the device(s) you wish to feature them on as well as your scheduling preferences, and hit save. It’s that easy!
In conclusion, Google’s Callout extensions can be a great way to take advantage of your ad space and increase the quality and Ad Rank of your search ads. With no real downside, there’s no reason not to give Callout extensions a try today!
Need Help With Your Google AdWords?
Fill out the form below to have an eBiz ROI, Inc. certified Google AdWords specialist contact you.[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
Additional Reading on Google Callout Extensions: