Why is Visually Appealing Content So Important?
The following infographic from the QuickSprout demonstrates why visual content is so important. It includes some telling statistics on just how big visual content has become and how it’s changing the way that we approach marketing.
The data below illustrates how vital appealing visuals are to content marketing success. In fact, images are the #1 most important factor in optimal social media content.
For me personally, if given the choice of sharing two different pieces of super high-quality content on social channels, the one that pulls in a thumbnail automatically will win out over the one with no image, every time.
So let’s dive right in and we’ll see you in the summary points on the “other side.”
People are wired to take in visual content faster and more effectively than we are words.
- The brain process visuals 60,000 times faster than it process text
- 90% of the information sent to our brains is visual
9 Kinds of Visually Appealing Content to Consider
- Eye-catching, creative photography – think stock photos or Instagram pictures
- Video – YouTube, Vimeo or Wistia embedded right into a post or shared directly to social media
- Screenshots – helpful images of your product or workflow
- Infographics – visual information, either super long and meaty or bite-sized and informative – like the one above!
- Data visualization – standalone charts and graphs
- Comics – relevant comic strips or cartoons
- Memes – popular memes customized to fit the context of your post or update
- Visual note-taking – casually-designed layout of ideas. typically text-heavy
- Miscellaneous Graphics
Tips to Make Visual Content that People Will Love
- Design with grids to give photo and text overlays a professional look
- Find a good photo filter and use is consistently
- Select a color palette and brand fonts and uses these consistently across both digital and offline channels
- Choose a striking stock photo with that evokes an emotional response
References and Additional Reading
- Mobile Usage Trends (Citrix on Slideshare)
- Photo and Video Sharing Grow Online – Pew Research
- 3 Can’t-Miss Tips for Optimizing Social Media Content – Crazyegg
- The importance of visual content (and how to deliver it effectively) – The Next Web
- Ten Laws to Design By – 3.7 Designs
- How to Use Golden Section Proportions In Your Designs – Vanseo Design
- Golden Ratio Typography Calculator – Pearsonified
- High-Quality Content? Not without High-Quality Images on Your Blog – Kathryn Aragon
- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest – Complete Social Media Image Size Guide [INFOGRAPHIC] Adweek
- The Secret to Great Facebook Graphics – Boom Social